van is a very particular child. it's getting alot better as he gets older, but he's very apprehensive about pretty much everything until he gets comfortable with it. once he gets over the initial fear of a new idea, he's great...but sometimes i have to get creative to persuade him into things.
little story...
when he was about 3 years old, he used to be scared to death of getting his ears cleaned out (really just the thought of it). i didn't even want to get in the canal, i just wanted to wipe out what my eyes could see right there in his ear. i even tried the drops that are supposed to let everything flow out, but i couldn't get him to quit moving his head. he would scream and cry like i was going to cut his arm off. i tried all sorts of angles, but nothing worked- so i just dropped it and thought of a plan.
a week or so went by and i went up to him and started looking in his ear, and i said "oh my gosh van, it looks like a bug pooped in your ear!"
now funny thing is, he also has a little o.c.d. when it comes to germs or things that are "dirty" so he wasn't too happy about the thought of a bug taking a little crap in his ear. he calmly said, "mom, you better clean that out right away!"
since then, i've had no trouble getting his ears cleaned out and he even comes to me and says, "mom will you clean this bug poop out of my ear?"
i feel kind of bad now because he doesn't have that fear anymore, and he's old enough to understand that we all need to keep our ears clean...but how do i tell him that i've been lying to him (for his own good of course) for 2 years? everytime we're cleaning out the " bug poop" he'll ask me "why do those bugs like to poop in my ears mom? when do you think they do it...maybe when i'm sleeping?"
so my dilemma today is bug poop.
3 comments:
Man, I don't know what to tell ya, cause I do the same thing... "I see bugs in your teeth, I gotta get 'em out"..
Just save for therapy. That's what I'm doing.
haha that was funniest thing i've seen in a long time! haha that's hilarious
That's very creative. I took the crayon angle, telling them with all that wax we could make a crayon. And they like to see what I get out.
Post a Comment